.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Monday, July 15, 2002


The one about the two Bulgarians in the Korean Karaoke bar

What, you haven't heard this before?

Last night, I was reminded why I love Chicago, the US, and Globalism (technically it was early this morning, but I count darkness before I sleep as part of the evening...)

It was late, past midnight, and I was hungry, my quick errand to the office had taken longer than planned so I was left with only real late night options for food - and I did not have a taste for a 24hr diner meal, and though my initial plan was Mexican, I decided to drive up north and see if my favorite late night Korean place had reopened yet.

It has not - still recovering from a fire that devastated their kitchen months ago, which is a real lose to Chicago.

So, I was stuck looking for another place that was still open. I drove far north, trying to find one of two other places I have gone to in the past that have been open very late, one appears to no longer be there, the other no longer to be a 24hr place. So, I was turning around and heading home, when I saw what looked to be a Korean restaurant still open.

Parking my car, I wandered in.

It was a strange little place, more bar than restaurant, but the bartended/owner? was friendly enough and after I explained I wanted something spicy, agreed to prepare a spicy pork dish for me for take out.

While it was being cooked, I sat at the bar with two other customers.

One an older man, balding, but who did not look Asian (unusual for such a place), and the other a man whom I assumed from his looks was Indian. After trying to get me to attempt to sing (I declined) they resumed their conversation, in a language I did not recognize, but quickly realized was something Slavic.

After a while, we got to talking - turns out they were speaking Bulgarian. The man whom I had assumed was Indian was instead, half Bulgarian and have Honduran - his parents had met on a soccer field.

How cool is a city where in a Korean bar, late at night on a Sunday, you can meet such people? Gives me a great deal of hope and happiness.

7/15/2002 10:49:00 AM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.