.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Tuesday, September 17, 2002


9 months, over 2000 messages sent

or, is my rate of emailing accelerating?

I should clarify, as of a few minute ago, my sent mail folder held 2029 messages, starting Jan 2nd, 2002. For all of 2001 that sent mail folder hold 2771 messages, so I guess I am roughly on the same pace?

This doesn't count messages sent from one of my two other main addresses, nor does it really fully count all messages I have sent, there are some that have not be "caught" by the sent mail folder - whole periods of time when I used another email program - for example.

But it does make me think, 16 messages sent just today.

And this counts messages I have sent to 30+ people as just "one" message - if I were to count all the various to's, cc's and bcc's in my messages, I suspect my yearly total is approaching at least 5,000 and perhaps even more - it is very common for me to send an email to three or four people at the same time, and I have sent plenty of emails to 30-40 people at time (and this counts a mailing list as just one address - that's 30-40 individuals).

In thinking about my year, I am certain that I have sent and recieved far more emails, far far far more emails than I have made phone calls, and probably far more than I have had in person conversations. Makes me think quite a bit. I know that I write a lot, indeed most people who send me emails are surprised by how quickly I respond to them, what they don't realize is that if I did not respond to them almost immediately, they would likely never get re-read or responded to - once I have clicked on the message and started reading it, it is generally the last time I will look at that message - though I will archive it for a long time.

I tend to only delete spam, and particularly large annoying semi-spam emails (mostly sales pitches - not pure spam because they have some reason for knowing me, but I feel I am unlikely to want to reach them again. My email folders now approach 494+ megs in size, and this is after having deleted and pruned probably a few hundred+ megs of emails.

On the one hand, rather frightening - have I really read all of this? Have I really gotten everything useful out of this that I could?

It does make me wonder, am I unusual in how much mail I get, and how much of it I keep?


9/17/2002 04:23:00 PM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.