.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Sunday, November 03, 2002


Collaboration - a real example (posted to Ecademy blog)

I posted the following to Ecademy

This weekend I was working with a friend to help her finish her PhD dissertation (she is defending it Tuesday!).

The first way we collaborated was simple email - she send me document(s), I read them over, edited them, and sent her back my notes/changes/updates.

We also played the voicemail tag game - her office has very poor cell reception - and no landline (academic office - no "real" phone near her office, at least the one with her computer) - so all afternoon and evening we have left voicemails for each other, or have been able to talk, but not when we both were in front of a computer.

So, I suggested that we try using Yahoo! Messanger (since I have that open, and I recalled that she had an account as well) - however, first we exchanged a series of emails to get from her to me her Yahoo! account name. Then, once I had added the correct account name - I tried sending her a message - but she then emailed "having problems with Yahoo..."

Not sure what the problems are - but the underlying point is that though all this technology is available - sometime the "old" methods of emails and phone calls work just fine - albiet a bit slower than IM might be.

So, we have ended up doing all of this via a large series of rapidly sent/replied emails - modifying the subject lines as neede - crude but workable. Probably the most emails I have ever exchanged with one person in a matter of hours (over 50 I think).

My point is that you adapt to what is workable - and though there are many alternatives - often the simplest (but with a structure imposed) solutions are the best.

We adopted a one-editor philosophy, she would inform me of changes to make, I made them in the text, and then confirmed with her what I had done - this resulted in one edited final document, a clear trace of what was done (and why), and the final document has now been sent to her for further editing (passed off the editor's role)

11/03/2002 11:21:00 PM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.