.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Monday, February 17, 2003


On the breaking of expectations

or how a mailing list breakdown is really irritating me this morning

Sometime last week, I think it was Wednesday or Thursday (but as you will see figuring that out is actually not so easy) I started to notice that I was not recieving all of the message to one of the many mailing lists to which I belong. I noticed this because I was getting replies to a message I had not read.

I sorted and searched and reorganized the messages, looked at my deleted messages to check, but nope, I had not gotten the message at all.

So, I looked at Yahoo! (http://groups.yahoo.com) and discovered, yup - the message that I had not seen was indeed in the archives. So I read it there.

Then I started counting - and noticed that I had missed a couple of other messages.

So I posted a note to the group about this, which I then did not get a copy of myself.

And so it began.

I attempted to contact Yahoo! customer support - via their less than useful help system - sending in two different but reports.

A day later I got a reply to one of them - asking me for more information which I sent to them.

A day after that, I got a request from them to complete a customer support survey - I did, giving them terrible marks as the problem was still unresolved.

And then came this weekend - in just one group to which I belong, 100 messages were sent out this weekend.

I got 52 of them!

I started checking, while last week it had not appeared that any of my other groups were effected - now it appears that ALL of my groups are effected, in that most of them there has been at least one, sometimes more than one, message that I did not recieve over the weekend.

The most puzzling, one of the groups to which I subscribe I subscribe via digest. In the digest from this weekend (2/16/2003 to be exact) the digest shows ONE message.

The archives show TWO messages, the one I saw in the digest, and importantly a REPLY to that very message.

So, if you have had any problems with Yahoo! Groups this weekend - could you please both contact Yahoo! Groups, and drop me a line about it.

I tried, in a minor way, to "pull rank" - I've contacted a friend of mine who is a Yahoo! executive - a few years ago he and I had a great conversation and discussion about Yahoo! Groups - so I hope he is interested in hearing about this problem that now seems to plaguing Yahoo! Groups.

So, to return to my subject - I have been irritated all day, and I realize it is because I am no longer getting ALL of the messages that I expect to get.

You see, I archive group messages into different folders - and then from time to time I catch up on a given group. This works very well and is part of how I am able to participate and monitor so many different groups. But now that I can no longer trust that my email account has indeed gotten all of the messages that should have been sent to it - I am finding myself wondering what else am I / have I missed!

I get close to 250 emails a day (to just my main business account) - not being able to trust that I am getting all of the messages that have been sent to me is a very disheartening thing.

2/17/2003 02:56:00 PM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.