.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Monday, December 29, 2003


Migration to Lotus Notes
So, this afternoon I have started to seriously migrate my personal email from Outlook to Lotus Notes (6.0).

Lots to learn and lots to do. I will also have to quickly decide if I want to try to get the upgrade to Lotus Notes 6.5 which might make a lot of sense for me to use instead (especially since I am learning it new anyway, might as well be on the most recent version).

Clearly it is a different piece of software than Outlook, in many respects a better one, but there are also negative respects as well, just stuff that I have to learn and relearn.

For example, it looks like (at least at the moment) that I cannot sort in the main view by subject. Something that I have become used to doing frequently. I think I can get the same effect in other ways, but it is a bit annoying nonetheless.

Further, there is a lot that I will have to learn in terms of the language of Lotus Notes, it treats things differently. However, at the moment at least it looks like I have managed to import my Calendar, Contacts (possibly too many times, may have to clean that up asap) and my mail (all of my messages which is quite a feat).

What seems to be missing at the moment is my tasks (todos) and my "notes" neither of which seem to have been imported successfully. I think I can export my "notes" and reimport them into Lotus Notes in a way that will achieve the effect that I need (i.e. keeping track of lots of random pieces of information). My tasks may be another matter, not sure how to do that.

The problem is that I have historically stored a lot of critical information in the tasks that were waiting to be done. So I have to find a way to deal with this in a meaningful manner soon. That said, it shouldn't be a really big deal to replicate what I need to by hand for the moment.

The other important things that I have to figure out quickly are:

1. setting up rules for all of my mail handling, may take a while.

2. setting up rules to deal with "spam" as effectively as possible

3. Setting up access for my non-primary accounts and establishing where to store that email (i.e. my "catchall" as well as non-JigZaw email accounts that I monitor)

4. Setting up alerts/notifications when new mail comes in so that I do not miss the fact that I have gotten something important.

5. Getting used to the look and feel of Lotus Notes and getting comfortable with all of the various settings/features/characteristics.

6. Archiving some of my old mail to reduce the file size of the Lotus Notes archive I have to deal with (currently pushing 1gb).

I'm sure there will be many more tasks for me to deal with, just one of many tasks I have to do...

12/29/2003 04:26:00 PM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.