.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Tuesday, May 18, 2004


BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Micro-budget film wows Cannes
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Micro-budget film wows Cannes

A film that gets shown in prestigious categories at Cannes, made for hundreds of dollars (now about $400,000 when all the rights have been cleared).

This is of interest to me for a number of reasons.

One, I like the idea of truly independent, homemade film being able to be brought to this level.

Two, I have ideas for taking something like this and moving it to another level, I think that this will not be unusual very much more, that there is an opportunity to take truly independent film and find a way to show it and distribute it profitably.

Three, the rights issues are one that I think will be increasingly important. Not just for music, but with the rise in "pay for placement" it is possible that in the not too distant future to use a brand name product you will have to have the rights to it to show it. Already it is clear if you watch "reality" TV that only those products and services that pay for placement are allowed to be shown on screen.

In a way it is not unlike the 555.5555 numbers in films, a small, but telling, note of unreality in "reality".

Another is language, "reality" shows are bound by the same restrictions on language (and sexual content and violence) that the rest of TV here in the US are bound by.

I wonder if it is possible to leverage this and technology to create new forms and modes of content. Is it possible to find new ways to merge TV and Web content, is it possible to use Semantic Web type approaches to manage the data streams around content.

Then via managing them, a well as leveraging the most advanced audio and video editing technologies, will it be possible to create content on your personal laptop that rivals anything seen previously today.

Shannon

5/18/2004 07:48:00 PM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.