.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Thursday, June 10, 2004


Boing Boing: Conference schwag goldmine
Boing Boing: Conference schwag goldmine

BoingBoing links to a photo gallery of shwag from the BIO conference. Nice stuff, but no match (at all) to what the MetaMorphosis conference offered up last month.

Short list:

- Radio controlled miniture car (three models from Siemans - not as prize, just for anyone who asked)

- Juggling balls - set of three

- CD Case, USB powered light, AND USB 4 port spilter - in one box, for the asking from Peoplesoft

- LED light from Niku, but they were also giving out small bags/backpacks

- Very nice baseball caps

- Polo golf shirt for all conference attendees

- Multiple t-shirts, including a really cool one from SMART (more on this in a later post, they deserve a little link love)

- Blackberry gave out multiple colors of soft cloths for cleaning electronic screen surfaces - very useful, grabbed one for me and one for my girlfriend

- A wide variety of extremely nice pens

- Perhaps the best item of all, a three button, wheeled, PORTABLE mouse (either USB or mouse port), with a mouse cord on a retractable holder.

As well, a couple of calculators and a CLOCK RADIO.

Get the picture.... all amazing, cool stuff - and these weren't the prizes for contests, they were the Shwag.

Contest prizes at booths you ask?

- Leather jackets from Harley Davidson (a customer of nVisia who was exhibiting)

- a deluxe gas grill with all the trimmings (from MetaGroup), also had other very nice smaller prizes

- multiple iPods, including one booth that a few times a day randomly gave out iPods to someone walking by wearing a pin they were handing out earlier.

All in all probably the best, highest end "shwag" I've ever personally seen. There were also various notepads, umbrellas (full golf-sized umbrellas from Novell), portfolios etc, the list is really amazingly large.

Still doesn't top, however, the shwag I once got from Oracle for attending a small meeting - that was a leather bound notebook which I still to this day use - exactly the right size and shape to carry around and use on a regular basis (though the refills are about $12 each)

I have also heard of shows with even better shwag. A conference a friend recently attended gave a brand new iPaq (a model not yet released no less) to EVERY attendee, pre-loaded with the conference schedule and all attendee bios (nothing was printed out, but a $600+ iPaq at a conference that cost $1700 isn't anything to complain about.

I personally think it is a sign that the economy is starting to pick up and that carefully qualified conferences are beginning to be seen as valuable again. Lessons I will keep in mind when working with sponsors about MeshForum this Oct 10-13th

6/10/2004 01:43:00 PM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.