.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Wednesday, July 28, 2004


Barack Obama -- Text of Speech to the Democratic National Convention
Barack Obama -- Text of Speech to the Democratic National Convention

Early on I had mixed feelings about Barak Obama, on the one hand he clearly is an extremely smart, significently capable legislator (got complex issues passed with bi-partisan support), and a rising star in the Democratic party. However, in the primaries I disagreed with him over Iraq and his ferverntly anti-war position (spoke at demonstrations against the war in fact), so I supported a different candidate (and neighbor of mine).

Now, however, he clearly is the favorite to win here in Illinois (the Republicans do not even have a candidate at the moment and are highly unlikely to have one that I would even consider voting for given their positions on social issues).

In his speech last night he went a very, very long way towards getting not just my vote but my active and interested support. Specifically he presented a message tailored towards the center (where I am as a centrist independent) and with a reasoned position on international affairs, more reasonable than I expected.

In his campaign site he has a blog, many of the comments on his speech are suggesting that we may have just seen the start of a national career, of someone who could be the first black president of the US (likely in 2012 if the people on the site have their way.)

I think this is not unlikely, though I suspect more likely is for Hillary Clinton to run in 2012 (though if, as I hope, Kerry/Edwards are elected this year and again in 2008, Edwards clearly will be a candidate to contend with as well). Barak Obama clearly, however, will be a leading and rising star for the Democratic party.

As a centrist, I hope, however, that he and the Democratic Party in general keep firmly to the center, rather than drifting as far to the left as the Republicans have to the religious conservative right.

I have at many times in the past expressed my personal wish for a strong, vibrant, active third party in the US. Baring a real centrist party (Pragmantic Progressives is a label some I know have suggested), a Democratic Party that sticks to being socially libral, but offers restraint and a recognition of the need to remain deeply engaged in the world (militarily if necessary but absolutely economically as well) would be a welcome second option.

Shannon

7/28/2004 09:46:00 AM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.