.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Friday, January 07, 2005


Books - week 1, 2005
During 2005, I am going to try an experiment, not sure how successfully, to record every book and magazine I read during the year - from the whimsical to the serious and in between. I may from time to time also note articles or webpostings - generally when they are lengthy and significent enough that I print them out and/or file them for future reference.

At present I have a number of books I am working on, but for the year there are a few that I have recently finished and thus start this list with one of the first books I completed this year. (There may be one or two others, will check my shelves when I am home and may add a few to this list as a result - can't remember if I finished them this year or last...)

Books

1. Why Things Bite Back: Technology and the Revenge of Unintended Consequences by Edward Tenner

This book had been recommended to me by many people so I finally picked up a copy, after which it then sat on my shelf for quite a while. I started it in December of last year, though I did not bring it with me to India. I just finished it last night. While not without flaws and elements that are dated, Tenner's perspective on the unintended consequences of nearly all types of technology - from agriculture to software offers a challenging and fairly unique perspective, one that will inform my own work for years to come. This is, perhaps, the highest praise I can give a book - that it has changed and thus influenced my own perspective. While I have often thought about the unintended consequences of much of technology, having now read Tenner's book, I have new tools, perspectives and examples to reference and refer to in the future.

Magazines

This past week I read the following magazines and newspapers:

New Yorker (double fiction issue from last weeks of Dec and the Jan 3rd issue)
Software Development - last issue in Dec 2004, first of Jan 2005 - skimmed for articles on trends in development/technology of interest
Chicago Reader - Jan 6th issue
Red Eye - Jan 7th issue (local daily paper from the Chicago Tribune)
Barrons - first issue of 2005


Currently Reading

New Yorker - Jan 10th issue (mostly finished)
Critical Mass: How One Thing Leads to Another by Phillip Ball - started this in Nov of 2004, hope to finish it this weekend
Wired - January 2005 issue
CIO - Dec 15/Jan 1 issue
Esquire - January Issue (will purchase this weekend to read Thomas P. M. Barnett's article
The New York Review of Books - Jan 13th issue

I also have about 120 some books on my shelves waiting to be read and over 20 magazines from 2004 piling up (nearly a year's worth of Baselines, Queue, and CIO, a few Wired issues I didn't finish, and assort misc. others including two issues of Granta).

For a book club I will also be reading The Dispossessed by Ursala LeGuin which I am greatly looking forward to as though I own two copies (one which was signed to me by Ursala LeGuin) I haven't actually read it yet.

1/07/2005 09:29:00 PM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.