.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Friday, May 13, 2005


j|turn ? Podcasting is a Bad Idea
j|turn ? Podcasting is a Bad Idea:

"Shannon Clark Says:
May 13th, 2005 at 10:25 pm
I read about 150 some blogs (about 160 feeds in my rss reader, but ~10 of them are search results etc)

I subscribe to about 35-40 podcasts.

For me they serve very different and equally interesting purposes.

Blogs I read for content, to follow friends, less often for entertainment.

Podcasts, at least the ones I follow, I listen to mostly for entertainment, occasionally to learn. I subscribe to about 20 podcasts which are mostly music - various IndieFeed podcasts, Rock & Roll Geek Show, Coverville, Karin’s themed podcasts, the $250 Million Radio Show and a few others. These have entirely replaced listening to radio for me - they play great music, selected with care by someone who cares and usually puts the music together in a way that is very compelling - great listening and vastly better than commercial radio (though I would be happy if they included ads especially if that meant they could continue to do what they do).

A few other notables - WeFunk (nearly 2 hours of great radio, broadcast on radio but available on the web); The Thomas Edison show - from NJ, a 1 hour show also broadcast on radio but available as a podcast of early turn of the century recordings, many from the archives of the Thomas Edison museam.

I then also subscribe to a handful of other podcasts - Adam Curry’s because I enjoy it, Dawn and Drew because I mostly enjoy it, KOMO news which would be even better were I in Seattle but shows how commercial radio can use podcasting very effectively 30 second to 2 minute short news stories - great stuff and good to shuffle amidst my other listening. And I listen to IT Conversations for deep, rich, highly interesting tech interviews and conference recordings - much more compelling than reading a powerpoint presentation or even a report of a presentation - and vastly more portable than trying to view a small video/web presentation if that were even an option (full disclosure, the conference I run, MeshForum will be distributed by IT Conversations later this Spring).

And I listen to a few other shows like the Podcast Network, David Winer, Benjamin Walker’s Theory of Everything, Le Show from Harry Shearer etc.

A common theme to most of the podcasts I listen to - they are made by people who if not professional radio people are very close, and in most cases have a significent background in audio recording and often in radio. i.e. They put together a well recorded (usually) and compelling show. Some, like Benjamin Walker do a lot of audio editing, others record and do no editing, but all sound good.

I think of my ipod shuffle as my self-programmed radio. For me podcasts offer a mix of music and tech (mostly) with bit of politics mixed in which I can set up quickly and listen to over the course of the day.

So I encourage you to give other podcasts a chance.

One final note - based on the podcasts I subscribe to 15-20 megs is a more accurate average and quite a few that I get are more like 50+ megs. I think this reflects deeper more comprehensive content - might be worth looking for larger podcasts to sample them.

Shannon

5/13/2005 03:30:00 PM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.