.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Tuesday, June 25, 2002


Late nights, random thoughts

Well I am here at the office til too late once again. Not a great habit that I am, certainly not getting much written of my own since after I leave here in a few minutes, I will have to get dinner and get home (walking). I have food at home, but at this hour I am so hungry I will probably stop somewhere on the way so as to eat that much sooner, with this late hour (almost 10:00pm) that means that I will probably be eating so-so take out chinese, not the healthiest food around.

Why do I do this?

For one, it is quiet here at night, and I get a fair amount done (though tonight that meant playing games - but it was all in the name of research, really). I am serious about that, I am helping a friend who may be starting an gaming company, so tonight I was researching an online game site (well a couple of them) - I even wrote up my analysis for him in a long email.

One reason I stay late is that I arrive late.

I arrive late because I wake up late.

I wake up late because I go to sleep late (okay, early in the morning).

I go to sleep late because I was not tired, often because I had too much food and coffee too late at night.

I eat so late at night because I don't get out of the office until late - and so the cycle has started.

Last night I did, in fact a lot of stuff - I read hundreds of pages of government documents (okay, skimmed most of them). This I did at a local cafe (and yes, I drank coffee). I left there at around 2:00am, I then did my laundry at home and did not get to bed until around 4:00am.

This is a pattern I have often fallen into. I tend to stay up very late because I am in fact quite productive, especially from about 11:00pm until about 3:00am or so (less productive in the early evening for some reason). This means however, that I am usually not up very early in the morning.

On the otherhand, the earlier in the morning that I get up (and I mean actually out of my bed, showered, and out of the house) the more productive I tend to be - and the better I usually feel. My best days typically are days when I am up around dawn, actually eat breakfast, and get on with my day.

Clearly this does not work well when staying up and not getting to sleep until 2 or 3 in the morning.

Probably there is a schedule for me that involves strategic napping which would work very well, but so far I have not found it.

When I do, I will share the secret...

6/25/2002 10:03:00 PM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.