.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Wednesday, June 05, 2002


Wednesday will be the day for me to shop, at least for vegetables and perhaps fruit. The city of Chicago has a number of Farmer's Markets, a week ago one near my house started. It is every Wednesday from 7:00am until 1:00pm.

This morning it was raining when I went there, so the merchants were all very pleased to see me, a potential customer. They had free coffee (organic and "free trade" if you care) and some free raisin bread that I munched on as I shopped. It would have been a great place to buy a live spice plant, lots of options to choose from, but I have a brown thumb so that is not a good idea. Lots of merchants had various types of greens (the name of this market is Chicago Green Marketplace I think, so that is very appropriate). And for some reason lots of radishes and asparagus.

The asparagus was fresh, but mostly of the rather thick variety that I am not overly fond of, and I was not in the mood for radishes. So this morning all I purchased was one bag of mixed greens with which to make a salad or two over the next few nights.

But as I said, Wednesdays are now my day for shopping for vegetables.

After shopping the marketplace this morning (before 8:00am, very early for me indeed), and getting a bit wet on my way back home to drop off my greens. I decided to sit at Seatle's Best and read for a while, had still more coffee (well caffinated today I am).

It was a good routine, one I have missed these past months, I think I will resume spending more mornings in a coffeeshop, good for my mental attitude, productive in terms of catching up on the dozens of magazines I get each month, and great to be surrounded by people. I even got some productive work done via some phone calls that came in on my cell phone, set up a meeting for later today with a possible client. I also finished two of the many business and trade magazines I get each month, and looked over another enough to know that it is not a high priority on my reading list (this is a very valuable discovery).

Now I have an afternoon looming ahead of me where I need to make lots of calls and write lots of emails for work, then a business meeting and then a networking event this evneing. A simulcast from MIT of a panel of successful entrepreneurs - should be a useful event for me to listen to and learn from.

But what will see me through today is the salad I have planned for dinner tonight, and the writing on my novel that I will do after dinner (probably while doing my laundry in the laundry room tonight). My planned salad is mixed greens, onion, apple, raisins, pecans, and grilled (fake) lobster in a balsamic vinigrette dressing - should be mighty tasty, very quick to prepare, and probably even rather healthy!

6/05/2002 12:35:00 PM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.