.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Tuesday, March 11, 2003


How to Think Like a Computer Scientist

Last Thursday after a great discussion at Cafe Society, I had a conversation with a man who currently works at Etrade about technology and about learning to program.

Had I known about this series of open books, this would be what I suggested to him to start with. Three books, one for Java, Python, and C++ all freely available and open (under the GNU license) with rich content about how to learn to program and "think" like a computer scientist.

This is nearly my exact suggestion to him - before he got focused on learning a particular technology or a particular programming language and toolkit, he should first take a class that would teach him how to "think" like a programmer. I'd suggest to him that he look for a class that used one of these books.

If you (or someone you know) wants a resource for learning to program - I would highly recommend starting here.

3/11/2003 12:38:00 PM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.