.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} Searching for the Moon
My original blog - I have moved to http://shannonclark.wordpress.com so this remains only as an archive.
 
Archives
<< current
 

Searching for the Moon
by Shannon Clark
 

Monday, March 17, 2003


A weekend
weather permitting

This weekend I accomplished a few minor things, one semi-major one, and enjoyed a bit of the wonderful weather here in Chicago.

First the simple things, a list, mostly for myself. I finished a number of magazines that had been piling up (this week's The Week and Business Week, the New Yorker, Strategy+Business) - that was mostly Friday Night, some Saturday, a bit on Sunday. I read "Have Trenchcoat, Will Travel" a novella by E.E. "Doc" Smith published by Advent Press of Chicago, I have not yet finished the three short stories also in the book, will read some of them this week as bedtime reading. I also started ">Free Live Free by Gene Wolfe which my friend Derek highly recommended that I read.

I read the first 200 pages or so last night (started at around 8 finished around 11, yes I read really really fast). It is very cool so far, and I am sure that I will enjoy finishing it, hopefully later tonight.

On the less optimistic side however, I susepct that there are strong echos in the work of a story that I have been and am working on - so it is a book I am reading somewhat bittersweetly, on the one had I am really enjoying Gene Wolfe's writing - which is much stronger and better than I seemed to remember it from the other books of his that I think (assume?) I have read - I'll probably start a bit of a minor Gene Wolfe kick later this year. On the other hand, it is somewhat discouraging to see someone tae a story not that far removed from one that you have been thinking about and do something far better than your version of it, but perhaps I can think of it as a challenge - here is one path to a story, let me find another and different one (his I think involves fairies of a sort, which is not a part of my novel).

I also spent some time on Sunday night working, wrote up specs for a project that hopefully will be starting later this week. On the plus side this means a small amount of revenue (hopefully) and some potential future revenue, but it is not a big project and my piece is really quite small - still work is work.

This week I have many diverse goals - some personal, but most business. First, I want to organize and clean up my spaces - too many piles, too high of a chance that somethign important is being overlooked in the midst of one of the piles. Second, I want to keep catching up on my reading lots of books I have aquired recently which I want to read... that's the fun stuff, probably will read William Gibson's new book later this week.

On a business front, I hope to launch fully my new software product later this week - that means that we will be open for business, able to take sales of the software online - and that means that I will be starting to publicize and push the software. I also plan on starting to contact lots of people about the software and see what happens. I also need to set a time for a Ryze mixer later this month, and to start the push for the mixer in April (April 29th, Mike Tanner of the Chasm Group will be speaking - contact me for details).

This means that much of my time this week will be spent on sales calls, and in writing up sales related materials - website content, updated presentations, help text, and other details - lots of writing and design work ahead of me this week - should be fun when it is all done but a lot of work until it is. I'll also be having to make lots of sales calls, something I am not that good at doing - but I'll keep getting better as the weeks go on.

3/17/2003 12:36:00 PM 0 comments
Comments: Post a Comment


 
This page is powered by Blogger.
Listed on BlogShares



Shannon John Clark (email me), b. 1974.

Male (to hold off the assumptions), currently in Chicago, IL.
I am active on many other forums and sites around the Internet. If I am online, feel free to Skype me.
You are also welcome to connect with me on Omidyar Networks on LinkedIn or Ryze.com and my blog on Ecademy or see more about me at MeshForum or my corporate site, JigZaw . I also maintain piecing IT together, as my corporate blog for JigZaw Inc.